I slept late this morning. After coffee, I sat down on a sunny couch to read the newspapers. After the N&O's comic section, I always give a quick look at the NY Times front section before going to the Week in Review to read the opinion pages.
Frank Rich's column, Next Up for the Democrats: Civil War, discusses the Clinton-Obama battle for the nomination.
Rich describes a half-hour special that Ms Clinton paid for and finds in it troubling evidence that "... once black voters met Mr. Obama and started to gravitate toward him, Bill Clinton and the campaign’s other surrogates stopped caring about what African-Americans thought."
The result? Black America has largely deserted the Clintons. In her California primary victory, Mrs. Clinton drew only 19 percent of the black vote. The campaign saw this coming and so saw no percentage in bestowing precious minutes of prime-time television on African-American queries.
You should read the column for yourself. It's too upsetting for me to repeat it here.
My personal action item after reading it is that I need to contact my Democratic Party officials and insist that (1) the super delates from NC support the popular vote and (2) that the delegates from Florida and Michigan not be allowed to vote at the convention.
What do my fellow Salonistas think of all this?
-- ge
1 comment:
I've heard some suggestion that the delegates from Michigan and Florida be split evenly between Obama and Clinton, thereby nullifying their impact. It is troubling to contemplate the Clinton's inclination to use "Republican lite" tactics to get what they want.
Judy
Post a Comment